Sunday 4 March 2012

Branston Gravel pits, Staffs.

Sunday 4th March 2012
I hadnt intended to do any birding on Saturday for various reasons but when it became clear Sunday was likely to be a wash-out I decided to visit Branston Gravel pits near Burton on Trent for a change. Although a working quarry a public footpath does allow some viewing of the pits. When I eventually found the footpath most of the birds were quite distant, particularly the flock of Geese which were in a field beyond the main pit. My interest in the geese was a 1w White fronted goose which has been wintering with the Canada geese. Having seen the White Front I turned my attention to the far shoreline. There was a large flock of Golden plover and many Lapwings, but also among them : 9 Curlew, 3 Ruff, a few Redshank, 3 Dunlin and a couple of pairs of Oystercatcher.

No comments:

Post a Comment